Getting Started with Your Decorating Project
from Warren's Decorating Center
, or stop by Warren's Decorating Center today!
Have a Decorating Plan
Whether you are going to do the work yourself or hire out some or all of the decorating project, a basic plan keeps the project organized and on budget. That's not to say the plan won't change, but if it does, it can be invaluable in helping you decide what's next and what's not.
Here are the basic questions your plan should answer:
- What is your goal? Perhaps you just need to freshen a room with new window treatments, an area rug, or paint. Or repair work means fixing up afterwards will be required. Maybe your baby isn't a baby any more and needs a room to take her through the teen years. Or the kids are now out on their own, and you can take over their room for that den you've always wanted. The options are as limitless as there are people with dreams.
- What is your style? This doesn't have to be a complicated answer. If you know what you like but don't know the name of it, read some decorating magazines and pull out pictures that you like (or browse decorating web sites and print photos), regardless of whether all the details are to your tastes. After about ten or twelve photos, you'll start to see a pattern. Glue these in a simple notebook and keep it handy when you come to Warren's. Do the same for color.
- What do you want to change? Maybe you love all the furniture but you're tired of the wall color or window treatments. Or it's time to replace carpeting and you're thinking hardwood or ceramic floor. The sofa is structurally fine but needs reupholstering.
- Do it yourself or hire someone? Even if you are handy in any aspect of home improvement, from sewing to woodworking to painting, be sure to consider the value of your own time. Doing it yourself is affordable only as long as you learn enough to do the job right and are willing to invest in the right tools and materials for the job. Still, it can be very satisfying to enjoy a room that you know you did yourself.
- What is your project's budget? Creativity and a little planning can stretch your decorating dollar a long way. Having a budget in mind is critical to making decisions about your project. Warren's can help you determine how to get the most for what you want to spend.
- What is the project deadline? As the saying goes, projects can take a lot longer than we think. Summer is not to early to start a project that you want done for the holidays. Are you preparing for a significant event such as a family graduation, wedding, or christening? Allow yourself plenty of time to make the choices, order the materials, get the job done, and restore order.
- Check into sources of help.
Warren's has over twenty years of experience helping home owners make
their dreams a reality. Our professional interior designers are available at the store for free or will come to your home for a nominal fee, giving you top-notch advice and ideas. If you prefer to work with your own decorator, Warren's welcomes both of you, too.
There are tons of books, magazines, and web sites available to answer every question you might have about decorating. Detailed descriptions of projects in those sources will help you decide whether you want to tackle something yourself or bring someone in. They can also give you some idea of the cost of materials and tools for the job.
In addition to your local newsstand or bookstore, don't forget to check your local library for home decorating books. Some libraries also carry the latest magazines, and still others (like the Webster Library just across Hard Road from Warren's) offer a free magazine exchange where people drop off issues they no longer want and take others.